Over the years I have gradually begun to think of prayer as a personal commune with God, Mary, Angels, or all of the aforementioned. It can take a while to get to the point where you feel a sort of “energy flow”.
I think there are a lot of different ways to pray, but it might help to think about how you envision it for yourself. Some people recite traditional prayers, and others meditate abstractly.
What effect does prayer have in terms of interpersonal communication between humans and God?
- Does it strengthen connections?
- Does it establish connections?
- Does prayer give strength to either party?
- Does it channel energy in a positive direction?
- Are you helping someone when you pray?
What is the nature of prayer?
- Should you give thanks?
- Should you ask for blessings for yourself or others?
- Is it a neutral meditative contemplation to center your values, feelings, and alignment?
How often should you pray? Many people pray once or twice a day. You can also read a short religious/spiritual passage once a day.
Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi
Make me an instrument of Thy peace.
Where there is hatred,
let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I
may not so much seek,
To be consoled, as to console;
To be understood,
as to understand;
To be loved, as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning
that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are
born to eternal life. Amen.